For some people, food is just a necessity to satisfy basic needs; for the others, food is more than just a basic necessity, but a pleasure that plays a significant role in their understanding of happiness. There are so many different cuisines and food preferences built by cultural and ethnical backgrounds, geographical locations and social classes. Food and popular meals can tell us a lot about the history and traditions of various nations and regions.
So today,we will visiting the country Kenya. Irio is one of the most famous dishes in Kenya, a food that originated as a Kikuyu staple and spread throughout the country. Green peas and potatoes are boiled and then mashed up before whole kernels of maize (corn) are added to give the mash some extra starch and texture. The food is famously paired with grilled steak and that gave it the name “Nyama na Irio“. Nyama means steak while “Irio” means mashed potatoes. Here is the ingredients and procedure on how to cook it.
1. 2 cups of green peas
2. Potatoes (should be peeled and cut into chunks), 1½ pounds.
3. A reasonable amount of water.
4. 2 teaspoon of salt.
5. 2 cups of corn,fresh or frozen.
1. Place the peas and potatoes in large sauce pan and cover
2. Add a pinch of salt and place over medium flame.
3. Bring to a boil,then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked thoroughly.
4. Bring down and drain, reserving the liquid.
5. Simmer ( to cook in a low heat) the corn with little salted water in another sauce pan for a few minutes.
6. Mash the potatoes and peas together with a potato masher. This would form a pale green puree.
7. The corn should be cooked to a soften stage,bring it down and drain the water. Canned corn can be uses in replace of cob corn.
8. Add the corn to the mashed peas and potatoes with a little of the reserved liquid. Then add season to taste with salt and pepper to your choice.
Your Nyama na Irio is ready to serve😋. Serve hot.
* Recepie variation: There are different recepie Variations such as using dry green peas. Soak the peas in water and then cook separately from the potatoes cause it will take long to be soften.
This dish is prepared in less than an hour.